Re: WG process (was Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-webdav-quota-07.txt)

On May 26, 2005, at 1:09 PM, Stefan Eissing wrote:

> I would like to express my extreme dissatisfaction with the WG chairs
> in handling the BIND spec. I perceive your behaviour during the last
> year as that of a total roadblock, not constructive and only paying
> lip service to installing and following any process which might bring
> progress to WebDAV and its goals.
>
> If there is any way to bring this spec to "proposed" under the current
> chairs, it eludes me.

Hi Stefan,

Believe me, I can fully understand your frustration here because I'm
frustrated as well.  I wish I knew what to do.  I've tried several
things over the past year to try to work through roadblocks, and
dragged several other people into the process as well trying to solve
problems.   It's clear to me as well as to others that those attempts
have not worked.  I'm not sure what I can do besides assure you that
I've made those attempts in good faith.  I'm sorry they've been
failures and have tried to analyze whether they've been inherent
failures, or failures in execution.

There may not be a way to bring this spec to proposed under the current
arrangement.  One of the options I've discussed with Ted Hardie and
others has been whether it would be possible to form a new WG from
scratch to work on WebDAV extensions.  Sometimes with a new WG, there's
a great opportunity to get commitments from new volunteers, all
starting from the same position and not feeling like they have to work
to come up to speed with an existing WG.  It's also an opportunity to
remix roles, and to have fresh discussions about what the priorities
are.

Lisa