Re: COPY of a binding onto another binding of same resource

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2004 18:38:16 +0100
To: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>
Cc: Webdav WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> When a user does a COPY or MOVE from one binding to another binding to
> the same resource, this should be flagged as an error.  Since this has
> to interoperate with existing clients that won't look at the error body,
> the status code would have to stand alone.  409 is already used for
> non-existent parent collections, so that can't be reused.  Possibly 403
> which in 2518 for COPY means "_ The source and destination URIs are the
> same."

Why would that be an error?

If I have two bindings b1 and b2 to the same resource B, MOVE b1 -> b2
will either fail (for Overwrite: F) or will first remove binding b2,
then execute the rename. The result will be that there'll be one
remaining binding (b2).

For the same situation, COPY seems to be no-op. Dead properties and
content will be "replaced" by their current values (with possible side
effects on ETag and so on...).

What am I missing?

Regards, Julian