redirect references protocol: automatic update

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2004 13:29:23 +0100
To: webdav <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

Regarding issue the last call (year 2000) issue:

<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-redirectref-protocol-latest.html#rfc.issue.lc-57-noautoupdate>

"Add language to forbid servers from automatically updating redirect
resources when their targets move."

I don't think we can forbid that. This spec consists of (a)
clarifications of how a server that supports redirects should behave for
specific WebDAV methods, and (b) extensions to explicitly create them
(or to apply a method to the redirect itself). As such, we shouldn't add
any requirements that HTTP doesn't add. What we could do is (1) note why
auto-update may be a bad idea, and possibly (2) define that redirects
created by MKREDIRECTREF should not behave that way (or alternatively
define more specific resource types).

Regards, Julian