Re: Status of RFC2518Bis (Was Re: Remaining issues with the bind draft -- process)

I don't think it's a great idea to split out locking, but I don't think
it's a terrible idea either.  It's not necessary to remove it, so the
conservative answer would be to leave it.  OTOH if we were to issue a
"WebDAV 100% required core features" RFC and a "WebDAV locking" RFC at
the same time, then it's mostly a case of document convenience and
perceptions.

The situation with locking is not that bad, as Julian pointed out
particularly because lock-null resources have been removed.  We could
simplify further if we think there are still complex or
rarely-implemented parts (if header parsing being the most obvious
candidate there, or remove shared locks).  But many (most?) clients and
servers *do* implement locking, and do so successfully.  There's good
interoperability.  It's useful.  Many clients routinely lock files
while they're open and being edited.

Given the discussion so far, I fall on the side of keeping RFC 2518
whole.  It's not an unmanageable size.  It encourages servers to
implement locking if they can, which helps the clients that find
locking useful, and is nice for such an important feature of
distributed authoring.

Lisa