Re: Status of RFC2518Bis (Was Re: Remaining issues with the bind draft -- process)

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> What's been holding up RFC2518bis is lack of clear consensus -- or a
> reliable way of determining it -- on several issues.  When we're ready,
> we can reintroduce discussion on those issues and see if now there is a
> clear consensus or a way to determine one.
>
> The most high-level issue is whether RFC2518bis is intended to be a
> proposed standard or a draft standard.  I believe this issue is implied
> by the proposal to remove locking from RFC2518 -- a change that big,
> even though it's a feature removal, may require recycling at proposed
> standard.

Lisa,

that proposal has been made *because* of the lack of process; not the
other way around.

Locking has been optional in RFC2518, so there shouldn't be any problem
whatsoever having a RFC2518bis-minus-locking going to draft. In fact
it'll be easier because locking is the area that needs most attention.

That being said, what *is* your position regarding separating locking
into a separate document?

Regards, Julian