Re: WebDAV MOVE

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 20:31:33 +0100
To: Helge Hess <helge.hess@opengroupware.org>
Cc: 'Webdav WG' <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>

Helge Hess wrote:

> the specification is a bit unclear on what we are supposed to return in
> the case that a MOVE cannot be completed because request URL and
> destination URL are on different servers or are on different
> subnamespaces on a single server.
> I would expect some return value that signals to the client that the
> URLs are on different "drives". The client could then try to implement
> the MOVE logic on the client side (eg using PUT to dest then DELETE in
> src).
> Any suggestions?

Right now, RFC2518 allows both -- rejecting the request, or doing a
"best effort" approach on the server.

The BIND draft (<http://wwww.webdav.org/bind>) clarifies that a client
that really wants to move resources (keeping all live properties and
resource-ids) can do a REBIND method call that is guaranteed to fail if
a "real" move operation is impossible.

If a server wants to reject MOVE, that's certainly possible although
existing clients may not be handling this very well. A 403 (Forbidden)
seems to be the right status code in this case. It would be nice if
there'd also be a precondition code for this case (Geoff, could we add
that to BIND as additional MOVE semantics?).

Regards, Julian