RE: Comments on draft-dusseault-http-patch-00

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@xythos.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2003 16:08:39 -0800
To: "'Julian Reschke'" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "'Webdav WG'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>

The OPTIONS changes are as much to find out if the server supports PATCH, as
indicate which patch formats are supported.  It's nice for clients to be
able
to discover all major optional features supported by the server in one
OPTIONS request, rather than trying features which might not work.

lisa

-http-patch-00.txt>

Here's another thought. You could get rid of any changes to OPTIONS
altogether by specifying:

A PATCH request with no or unknown content type must result in a 4xx
status, and a "Patch" response header summarizing the supported content
types. Then a client can simply submit a PATCH request with no
Content-Type header (and no body) to get the list of supported types.

I think this would be a good simplification as it makes PATCH
independant of all other HTTP methods.

Julian