Re: Comments on draft-dusseault-http-patch-00

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Sat, 22 Nov 2003 16:19:08 +0100
To: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@xythos.com>
Cc: 'Webdav WG' <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> The OPTIONS changes are as much to find out if the server supports PATCH, as to

That doesn't require additional functionality, there's already the
"Allow" header.

> indicate which patch formats are supported.  It's nice for clients to be able
> to discover all major optional features supported by the server in one
> OPTIONS request, rather than trying features which might not work.

Is this doesn't seem to be time-critical, I'm not sure that I see the
benefit. Not changing OPTIONS will create less dependencies and will
possibly make it easier to add the feature to existing servers.

Note that the proposed "OPTIONS *" functionality will not work anyway.
Is it worth keeping the remainder?

Julian