RE: getlastmodified of collections

This is a good point.  I was thinking that the GET response to a directory
was likely only a
listing of its member files, and then Geoff's idea of getlastmodified would
fit this model.
However there are a number of other possibilities:

 - If the server includes information about a directory's members, that
could change.  E.g.
	File Name		Size		Last Modified
	file1.txt		123k		8/1/2003
	file2.txt		124k		8/2/2003
   A server that did a listing like this in response to a GET ought to
change its directory's
   getlastmodified value whenever the content changed. Obviously that might
include a PUT
   operation to a child as well as the other operations listed.

 - If the server returns a file like "index.html" in response to a GET for a
directory, then
   possibly the 'getlastmodified' property value for the directory should be
that of
   the index.html file.

How many HTTP/WebDAV clients are there out there that do caching/synch based
on the
Last-Modified header or the 'getlastmodified' property?  I am guessing there
are quite
a few because from what I've seen clients can't rely on ETag support in
Web/WebDAV servers.

Lisa