RE: another thought on "is element order significant" vs DTDs in WebDAV

Agreed. Order may be significant for *execution* (and I think the spec
already clearly says where this is the case). I was considering *validity*.

> I still think it's a good idea to say at a minimum that the order of
> resources and properties in a PROPFIND response is irrelevant.
> So should we
> say that in general order is irrelevant but the PROPPATCH request
> body is an
> exception?  Or should we say that in general order is important but the
> PROPFIND response body is an exception?

The former.

> I favour the first - the general rule being that order is irrelevant
unless
> specified as relevant.

Correct. A related issue is when unknown elements are to be ignored
(generally yes, but for instance not within PROPFIND/prop).