RE: Changing etag and getlastmodified on move/rename

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@xythos.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 10:38:28 -0700
To: "'Julian Reschke'" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "'Webdav WG'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>

> It shouldn't. Also, the other combination can occur as well
> (ETag changes, but getlastmodified doesn't). This is because
> the ETag must be unique for all representations produced for
> a particular URL (+ variant-selecting headers), *not* the resource.
> Consider:
> /a/b with etag "1"
> /a/c with etag "1"
> MOVE /a/b -> a/c
> The resulting ETag for "/a/c" MUST NOT be 1.

Wouldn't the "getlastmodified" value change during this operation as well?  I'm assuming that at the beginning /a/b and /a/c had different content, which is why the ETag had to changed when the MOVE caused the content /a/c to be overwritten with the content from /a/b.  If that's the case then the result of a GET to /a/c is different after the move, so the 'getlastmodified' must also change.