Re: bind draft issues

From: Brian Korver <briank@xythos.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 11:58:34 -0800
To: "WebDAV" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

[snip]
> Probably a good guess of Geoff's intentions. Why not give a guess
> what an "URL property" exactly is? That would be most welcome.

I think I gave that the other day:

    Perhaps "URL properties" isn't the right term, but what is?
    In the face of bindings, "URL properties" are those properties
    which are (potentially) effected by operations on bindings, where
    "resource properties" are not effected by such operations.

In other words, they are the class of properties whose values
(potentially) differ based on the URL specified in the PROPFIND
(when more than one binding exists to a resource).  "URL properties"
isn't intended to imply that the property is stored with the
URL or anything else like that: it is merely descriptive of
behavior.

As we discussed earlier, some implementations treat DAV:displayname
as just such a property.

-brian
briank@xythos.com