RE: RFC2518 issue: requiring ETags (Atlanta wg mtg)

At 3:34 PM -0500 2/26/03, Jason Crawford wrote:
>Let's use the SHOULD and let implementers understand why they SHOULD
>implement strong Etags.  Let the implementers weigh the "difficulty" case
>against the benefit case themselves.   And let's let the implementors that
>don't follow through on the SHOULD know if they are impacting us as users
>and if we're tempted to use a different product.  I know that user feedback
>is a strong motivator for most software developers.

Further: There is more than one way to implement locking. My server
already had a locking mechanism, so I had no desire to implement
WebDAV locking at all. I just wanted a few features to make it easier
for users to upload files. But then I got sucked into it because OS X
refused to allow writes without locking. I found the locking part of
WebDAV to be the most complex and problematic part to implement. At
times it made me wish I had taken another approach.

Best,

John DeSoi, Ph.D.