RE: RFC2518 issue: requiring ETags (Atlanta wg mtg)

From: Jason Crawford <nn683849@smallcue.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 15:34:29 -0500
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: "'Clemm, Geoff'" <gclemm@Rational.Com>, "Lisa Dusseault" <lisa@xythos.com>, "'Webdav WG'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>

I again tend to agree with Julian.

What Lisa has said seems true, but it's not compelling as much as it simply
weakens Julian's position.

Let's use the SHOULD and let implementers understand why they SHOULD
implement strong Etags.  Let the implementers weigh the "difficulty" case
against the benefit case themselves.   And let's let the implementors that
don't follow through on the SHOULD know if they are impacting us as users
and if we're tempted to use a different product.  I know that user feedback
is a strong motivator for most software developers.

J.

Phone: 914-784-7569,   ccjason@us.ibm.com
I do not check nn621779@smallcue.com