RE: Issues PUT_AND_INTERMEDIATE_COLLECTIONS and INTEROP_DELETE_AND_MULTISTATUS

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:17:44 -0800
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>

> Assuming WebDAV would want to define a new 4xx status code -- how
> do I find out about which codes have been "taken"? Roy?

In the past, when we defined new status codes I looked at the latest HTTP
specification, and then all HTTP-related RFCs (of any status, be they
Informational, Experimental, Proposed, Draft, etc.) and drafts likely to
become RFCs (such as drafts of the Draft standard HTTP as it was being
defined), composing the union of all status codes. I then selected the
number one above the highest number yet assigned.

- Jim