Re: Issues PUT_AND_INTERMEDIATE_COLLECTIONS and INTEROP_DELETE_A ND_MULTISTATUS

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@apache.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 13:51:22 -0800
Cc: <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

> Assuming WebDAV would want to define a new 4xx status code -- how do I
> find
> out about which codes have been "taken"? Roy?

I don't know what the status of the registry is now, but it was supposed
to be IANA.  The holdback was the lack of a registration process
[meaning
the lack of a volunteer with enough free time to write that boring
task].
Larry might know the current state.

Why don't you just respond with the status code of the first error,
since otherwise you will need a 5xx as well.

207 is completely lame (and yes I did make a stink of it at the time).
HTTP doesn't specify the contents of the message body -- a
multi-response
could have just as easily been done as 200/201 with a special media type
specific to webdav.  The client already knows it is performing a webdav
action and intermediaries know it isn't cacheable (because of the
method),
so a parallel set of status codes isn't necessary.

....Roy