From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@apache.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 13:51:22 -0800
Cc: <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>

> Assuming WebDAV would want to define a new 4xx status code -- how do I
> find
> out about which codes have been "taken"? Roy?

I don't know what the status of the registry is now, but it was supposed
to be IANA.  The holdback was the lack of a registration process
the lack of a volunteer with enough free time to write that boring
Larry might know the current state.

Why don't you just respond with the status code of the first error,
since otherwise you will need a 5xx as well.

207 is completely lame (and yes I did make a stink of it at the time).
HTTP doesn't specify the contents of the message body -- a
could have just as easily been done as 200/201 with a special media type
specific to webdav.  The client already knows it is performing a webdav
action and intermediaries know it isn't cacheable (because of the
so a parallel set of status codes isn't necessary.