RE: comments on RFC2518bis-02, sec 6.3

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@xythos.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jun 2003 10:50:04 -0700
To: "'Julian Reschke'" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "'Jason Crawford'" <nn683849@smallcue.com>
Cc: <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

> > > 5) Section 6.3, p3
> > >
> > > Replace
> > >
> > > "However resources are free to return any URI scheme so
> long as it
> > > meets
> > the
> > > uniqueness requirements."
> > >
> > > by
> > >
> > > "However servers are free to use any IETF-registered URI
> scheme so
> > > long
> > as
> > > it meets the uniqueness requirements."
> >
> > ? Is it important to be IETF registered ?
>
> Yes. A non-registered URI scheme doesn't have *any*
> guaranteed uniqueness, so it doesn't serve it's stated purpose...

That's not true.  If I create a URI scheme where the scheme name is
"http://www.xythos.com/storageServer/locktoken/", without registering this
with the IETF, it can still meet the uniqueness guarantee.

For that matter, a sufficiently long randomly generated set of characters,
as long as it meets the URI formatting requirements, statistically meets the
uniqueness guarantee.

Lisa