RE: Issues: MKCOL_AND_302, IMPLIED_LWS, PUT_AND_INTERMEDIATE_COLLECTIONS, INTEROP_DELETE_AND_MULTISTATUS

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 09:53:01 +0200
To: "Jim Whitehead" <ejw@cs.ucsc.edu>, "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "Lisa Dusseault" <lisa@xythos.com>, "'Webdav WG'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>

Jim,

> It seems to me that it's possible to configure a WebDAV server
> such that it doesn't support redirect reference resources, but
> does give out 302s for some URLs.

I think that's just a matter of what you mean by "support redirect reference resources". If it can return 302s, it knows about redirects. It may not support to *author* them, but that's a separate issue.

> I'm fine with saying MKCOL, like all methods, is redirected by 302.

So what does this mean? If a client does a MKCOL on a URI and receive a 302 with Location header, what is it supposed to do?

a) consider this a failure, just as a 405 (resource exists)
b) redirect the MKCOL to the URI specified in the Location header?

IMHO, the answer must be a), thus the request is not really redirected -- it just fails, because the resource identified by the request URI already exists, and MKCOL is defined only to suceed on null resources.

Julian