RE: Reminder: WG Last Call on Ordered Collections

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:15:50 -0700
To: "'WebDAV'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

Geoff Clemm writes:
> For (3), I don't think making a special case for "move within a
> collection" vs. "move outside of the collection" is worth optimizing,
> since it makes the spec more complicated and is likely to be enough
> of a problem to some servers to make it likely to not be followed anyway.

I'm not sure I understand the objection the Geoff raises (i.e., I don't see
what the potential problems might be).

IMO, the principle of least astonishment applies here. If a resource has a
given name (final path segment) in a collection, and then is given a new
name (final path segment), a user would expect that resource to keep its
current position, unless the ordering explicitly depends on the value of the
final path segment.

So, I'm with Lisa, I think some additional language here would be good (MUST
preserve position for MOVEs that only change final path segment except when
the order semantics explicitly depend on the URL or final path segment).

- Jim