Re: Reminder: WG Last Call on Ordered Collections

Jim Whitehead wrote:

> Just a brief reminder that we're in the final days of a working group last
> call for comments period on the WebDAV Ordered Collections protocol,
> draft-ietf-webdav-ordering-protocol-07.
>
> >From the abstract of the -07 specification
>
>   This specification extends the WebDAV Distributed Authoring Protocol
>   to support server-side ordering of collection members. Of particular
>   interest are orderings that are not based on property values, and so
>   cannot be achieved using a search protocol's ordering option and
>   cannot be maintained automatically by the server. Protocol elements
>   are defined to let clients specify the position in the ordering of
>   each collection member, as well as the semantics governing the
>   ordering.
>
> This last call for comments period ends Sunday, April 27, 2003, at midnight,
> US Pacific time.
>
> The specification can be accessed at:
>
> Text (this is the normative version)
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-webdav-ordering-protocol-07.t
> xt
>
> HTML:
> http://www.greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-ordering-protocol-07.
> html
>
> XML:
> http://www.greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-ordering-protocol-07.
> xml
>
> Based on comments received so far, there will likely be another draft
> produced, but there will not be another WG last call period. I am currently
> anticipating that the -08 specification will be sent immediately to the IESG
> for approval. As a result, if you are planning on reviewing this
> specification, please do so immediately.
>
> - Jim

May I ask about practical example or cases about WebDAV Ordered Collections
protocol. It is not clear to me why we define new protocol when we have the
search protocol's ordering option. In other words, which aspects of ordering
can not be covered by the search protocol's ordering option.

Thanks in advance,
Bita