Re: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-dusseault-dav-quota-01.txt

On Wednesday, October 23, 2002, at 03:01 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> I just did PROPFIND/propname on
>
> 	http://idisk.mac.com/interop01/
>
> (doesn't have the properties listed)

Apple's iDisk and the Mac OS X WebDAV file system implementations were
complete and in use before this document. They use the properties
"quota" and "quotaused" and the values returned by those properties are
in 512-octet units. Connect to iDisk with the Mac OS X client and the
first PROPFIND you see will ask for and receive those properties.

When Lisa started working on the current draft and it was obvious that
the values returned should be in the same units used by other parts of
HTTP (such as Content-Length) instead of 512-byte units, different
property names were used.

I have no problem with the property names quota-bytes and
quota-used-bytes being changed to quota-octets and quota-used-octets. I
agree that octet is the accurate term to use since it's well defined in
RFC2616, section 2.2.

On Wednesday, October 23, 2002, at 02:23 PM, Eric Sedlar wrote:

> All I want is for interoperable clients to have two properties:
>
> * how much junk can I store in this collection
> * how much junk have I already stored in this collection (and thus
> could be
> used if I delete stuff, potentially)
>
> I'm happy with the properties--I just think we need to change the text
> indicate that the quota only applies to the currently authenticated
> HTTP
> user--an interoperable client cannot assume that the quota will be the
> same
> if authenticated as somebody else.  I don't think we need an ability
> to find
> out how much quota other people have.

That's pretty much what the values returned mean to us and how we use
them. Since the Mac OS X WebDAV file system mounts a collection as a
disk volume, we use the quota values to show the user how big of an
iDisk they have and how much of that space is still available.

Once this group has determined what the new property names are, it'll
be simple to change the iDisk server to use the new property names (as
well as the old property names for backwards compatibility with
existing Mac OS X clients). Once the changes on the iDisk server are
made, it will also be a simple client change to ask only for the new
property names.

- Jim