RE: FW: I-D ACTION:draft-dusseault-dav-quota-01.txt

I just did PROPFIND/propname on

	http://idisk.mac.com/interop01/

(doesn't have the properties listed) and on

	http://www.sharemation.com/~(someusername)

(doesn't have them, but does have
{http://www.xythos.com/namespaces/StorageServer}quota).

> This implementation experience, and the desire to have interoperability
> between the clients and servers from these two implementers, led to the
> writing of the draft.

Which clients support it then?

> Thus, the draft is fairly reliably known to work for
>  - the Sharemation model, where every user is given a quota tied to
> their home directory but they can assign sub-quotas to sub-directories
> if they want
>  - the iDisk model, where every user is given a home directory and a
> single top-level quota
>  - the WFS corporate customer model, where users put their stuff in
> shared directories like 'dev', 'sales', 'hr' -- and so you can *only*
> measure quota by directory, not by user.
>
> We always have a temptation to make designs "more generally
> applicable".. However sometimes I fear we fall in the trap of making the
> designs too extensible, too theoretical, too much like a framework, and
> in general too complex to actually reasonable accomplish what are
> sometimes modest goals.

But then we also sometimes fall into the trap of standardizing too early,
right?

There's nothing wrong in publicly describing a specific extension (actually,
that's very good). But it's a big step from having something that seems to
satisfy one or two server's needs, and a design that is generic enough to be
considered as the generic approach for WebDAV servers.