RE: New RFC2518bis draft, COPY / MOVE of live properities

From: Jason Crawford <ccjason@us.ibm.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 18:11:45 -0400
To: "Clemm, Geoff" <gclemm@rational.com>
Cc: w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org

I support Geoff's proposal.   COPY seems like a difficult species to
define, and what Geoff proposes below seem like the best definition that we
are likely to come up with.

Phone: 914-784-7569,   ccjason@us.ibm.com

                      "Clemm, Geoff"
                      <gclemm@rational.        To:       w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org
                      com>                     cc:
                      Sent by: w3c-            Subject:  RE: New RFC2518bis draft, COPY / MOVE of live properities
                      dist-auth-
                      request@w3.org

                      07/25/2002 02:14
                      PM

I believe this definition will work in enough cases for the
implementor to be able to extrapolate what to do in those
multiple-representation cases (and I'll bet is very close to how
Xythos actually does implement its cross-repository MOVE).

In particular, I believe we have to say something to clarify the
distinction between MOVE and COPY, and that this would be a reasonable
compromise between "fully defines every case" (not achievable) and
"undefined" (pretty much what we have in 2518).  But I'm always open
to replacing it with something better!

Cheers,
Geoff