RE: Web Character Model and IRI spec (Re: FW: character encoding.)

From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2002 12:49:22 +0200
To: "Larry Masinter" <LMM@acm.org>, <tai@iij.ad.jp>
Cc: "'Webdav WG \(E-mail\)'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>

OK, what do we need to specify:

1) display of member names in collections: take the last URI segment, then
URL-unescape, then UTF-8-decode

2) creation of new resources:

2a) all URI segments MUST be UTF-8-decodable after URL-unescaping
2b) if the "local display name" (for instance document name when typing into
file selector box) contains non-ASCII characters, it MUST be UTF-8 encoded
then URL-escaped.

3) Forbid member names in collections that aren't Unicode-normalized after
URL-de-escaping and UTF-8-decoding.

Opinions?

Julian