RE: Web Character Model and IRI spec (Re: FW: character encoding.)

From: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 09:17:32 -0700
To: <tai@iij.ad.jp>
Cc: "'Webdav WG \(E-mail\)'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>

I think that it would be great if the WebDAV spec
could be clear about encodings in URIs, and the
relationship between the HTTP URIs used in the protocol
and the XML strings used in enumerations of collections.
I'm not sure you need to make a normative reference to
either the IRI spec or CHARMOD to do so, if you're concerned
about establishing an unnecesary schedule dependency.

This is because the IRI spec doesn't actually say the
things that WebDAV needs to say in order to get interoperable
implementations -- what is the expected behavior of
WebDAV user agents when showing strings to the users?

This has been an issue in interops already, not just
for I18N, but also for simple URL encoding, e.g., of
file names with spaces in them.

Larry