RE: Open issues with internationalization section

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Jul 2002 14:07:19 -0700
To: <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>

> "...encoded, at minimum, using any mandatory encoding for which the
> XML specification requires support."
>
> Note: this includes UTF-16.
>
> Does everybody agree to extend the encoding requirements to UTF-16?

I think this is a good change, though I think it would be good for 2518bis
to explicitly note that this means UTF-8 and UTF-16, since the mandatory
encodings specified in the XML REC are not common knowledge.

I think UTF-16 use would, at present, cause multiple interoperability
problems. It would be very useful to add some UTF-16 tests to the Litmus
compliance test tool, to strt moving the community in the right direction.

- Jim