RE: [w3c-dist-auth] <none>

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 14:22:18 -0800
To: "akhil gupta" <aakhilg@yahoo.com>, <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

>    Can you please tell me how using the webdav we can
> save files on internet, means i want to write a
> program for opening a file through a site of the
> format of MS Word or Excel, edit it and save it back
> on the remote computer, from where it was opened.
> Please tell me urgently how to do it, using webdav or
> else.

There are many libraries that can be used to access a WebDAV repository and
achieve the goals you describe. A list of these APIs can be found at:

(look about 1/2 way down the page)

The file can be retrieved using the GET method (standard HTTP/1.1). Using
the WebDAV LOCK method will ensure that only one person can edit the file at
a time.

As for actually editing a .doc or .xls file, this requires knowledge of the
internal structure of these file formats. The WebDAV protocol does not know
anything about these file formats -- it's out of scope.

Reading the following paper may give you some insight into the high-level
design goals for WebDAV:

- Jim