RE: DAV-Enabled field (was RE: A case for GETSRC)

From: Jason Crawford <ccjason@us.ibm.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 23:59:16 -0500
To: "Eric Sedlar" <Eric.Sedlar@oracle.com>
Cc: "CJ Holmes" <cholmes@4d.com>, "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

  Nice post.

> It's not clear to me that the generated output from GET on executables
> actually is a different resource.  First of all, it doesn't make sense to
> think of it as having properties separate from that of the script.  I
> if anyone actually doing the URL space mapping proposed would keep around
> set of dead properties for the generated output, but the case becomes
> clearer when looking at the live properties.

I think you're right that a lot of those properties have limited value for
a dynamic resource.  Sometimes they are hard to implement efficiently.
Sometimes the correct value for the server to return for a property might
be ambiguous.
   OTOH... for the underlying source resource, these properties are
probably useful, very clearly defined and easy for the server to return.
That seems to be a good reason to keep the source resource seperate from
the complexity and ambiguity of the dynamic resource.

This is just a response to the first part of your note.   It doesn't
respond to the second part of your note about MOVE which requires more

Again... thanks for your thoughtful note.

Phone: 914-784-7569,   ccjason@us.ibm.com