RE: DAV-Enabled field (was RE: A case for GETSRC)

From: CJ Holmes <cholmes@4d.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 14:44:44 -0800
To: DAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
>GET doesn't dump "the content" of a resource. GET returns an entity which is
>one of many possible representations of the resource, which may depend on
>non-URL based information in the headers (in which case these headers should
>be listed in the "Vary" header).

You mean like a "DAV-Enabled" header field?  In which case
"DAV-Enabled" would appear in the Vary field of the response?

A "resource" is a rather malleable concept, and as you've stated here
there may be many representations of that resource.  I don't see that
it would be so horrible to allow the idea that one of the
representations of a resource could be its raw source.  What
representation you receive is a matter of server policy.  And some
way of identifying that the server is talking to a DAV client would
help with managing that policy.

cjh