Re: A case for GETSRC (or other mechanism to that effect)

From: CJ Holmes <cholmes@4d.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Mar 2002 14:11:02 -0800
To: DAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
>The source property is the only mechanism I know of that truly allows the
>Web interface to be used for authoring of the source resources of
>dynamically generated content.

Agreed.  But this is irrelevant to most users.

>Quite frankly, if a person cannot implement that in a trivial amount of time
>then I'd like to know how their Web server manages to generate the dynamic
>content in the first place.

If it is so trivial, why isn't it implemented?  It's not because the
programmers are simply lazy.  Look at all the stuff the *is*
implemented wrt DAV.  Even fairly hard stuff like locks and storing
arbitrary properties is implemented.  But this one trivial thing is
not.  The *concept* is simple, yet it remains unimplemented after
three years.

As long as people keep insisting that it is simple, I'm going to keep
pointing that out.

I'm thinking now that I like the DAV-Enabled field idea better than
GETSRC, since it doesn't mess with the data model.  But I realize the
same people will protest it for the same reasons.

cjh