RE: [dav-dev] Re: Problem with OfficeXP and Accented characters

From: Jason Crawford <ccjason@us.ibm.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 17:46:44 -0500
To: <LMM@acm.org>
Cc: "'Jim Whitehead'" <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>, "'WebDAV'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

> Don't expect this to be handled by changes to HTTP
> or URI specifications.

It's good to know this.

> It is important for the WebDAV group to come up with
> a WebDAV spec that defines character encodings for
> file names and the relationship of filenames and encodings
> to URL strings.

Please forgive me if I'm being dense, but isn't this out of the realm of
WebDAV?
Although there have been some exceptions when people said a given feature
was unimplementable, we've usually said that we are only officially
concerned with
server  behaviors that are exposed to and testable/verifyable by a WebDAV
client.  If  we agree that this is still our philosophy, and that the use
of files in an
implementation is not visible to a client, then perhaps instead of adding
it to the base webdav spec,  someone should draft an RFC on this apart from
WebDAV that documents and resolves this issue.

J.

Phone: 914-784-7569,   ccjason@us.ibm.com