Re: [dav-dev] Problem with OfficeXP and Accented characters

Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de> writes:
> - In moddav (correct me if I'm wrong), people may be creating
> resources by directly accessing the filesystem.

# NOTE: the file repository is considered "private" to mod_dav and the
# web server.  Modifying files via FTP or through filesystem commands
# should not be allowed.

> - Broken clients may use request/destination URIs which are not
> encoded in UTF-8

I thought (per RFCs 2396 and 2616) the "http" scheme just specifies a
mapping for each part of the URL from US-ASCII to a sequence of
octets, and the mapping from those octets back to characters (if any!)
is at the whim of the server.  %-escaped UTF-8 is *recommended* for
new schemes (and for HTML that embeds URLs containing invalid
non-ASCII characters), but a server that uses Latin-15 should be able
to send Latin-15 in PROPFIND responses without having a client
complain about or mangle perfectly workable URLs just because it can't
display them nicely.