RE: rfc2518 issue: DEFER_LOCK_NULL_RESOURCES_IN_SPEC

From: Lisa Dusseault <lisa@xythos.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2002 07:57:16 -0800
To: "Webdav WG" <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>, "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
> > 2. When a client creates a resource without mime type, should
> > the server make a guess or report application/octet-stream?
>
> It could, but I wouldn't recommend that. It may make sense to report a
> *specific* content type (such as application/x-foobar), but reporting
> "application/octet-stream" doesn't really help anybody.

I'm not sure this is workable.  You're right that defaulting to
application/octet-stream doesn't help anybody, but it may hurt less.  When a
client creates a resource without a MIME type, then a client asks for the
resource using GET, the server must put some value in the Content-Type
header.  Since "getcontenttype" is defined as the type that would be
returned in the Content-Type header were the client to do a GET request, it
must have the same value.

This isn't a DAV problem only -- any Web server might have the same problem.

Lisa