Re: rfc2518 issue: DEFER_LOCK_NULL_RESOURCES_IN_SPEC

Am Sonntag den, 17. Februar 2002, um 04:19, schrieb Lisa Dusseault:

> Stefan Eissing wrote:
>> Am Freitag den, 15. Februar 2002, um 01:57, schrieb Daniel Brotsky:
>>
>>> The question: what's the mime-type of the newly-created resource?
>>>
>>> Now I know that many servers use file extensions to determine
>>> mime-type, so the name of the resource could be used to provide a
>>> mime-type.  But for other servers that expect clients to supply a
>>> Content-type header on PUT (or at least pay attention to them),
>>> what should happen?
>>>
>>> My proposal: do not mandate behavior around this; leave the spec
>>> silent.  That way the spec is silent about mime-type of LOCK
>>> created resources exactly as it's silent about the mime type of
>>> PUT resources.
>>
>> Yesterday we had internally the discussion about the mime-type of
>> a resource with length 0. I think we did not come to a good conclusion
>> and the whole mime-type handling is a mess anyway.
>>
>> The only thing we could agree upon is that a client supplied mime-type
>> on PUT should be persistet (if possible) and override any name
>> extension
>> guesswork.
>
> Application/octet-stream is the generally accepted "don't know
> what else to
> use" MIME type, the default MIME type.  At least if we specify it,
> behavior
> will definitely be consistent.  What's the virtue of not specifying it?

Can we specify answers for all questions below?

1. When a client creates a resource with
"application/octet-stream", should
the server make a guess and replace octet-stream with another mime type?

2. When a client creates a resource without mime type, should
the server make a guess or report application/octet-stream?

3. When a server reports application/octet-stream, should a client take
a guess in order to open an application/show an icon?

4. When a server reports another mime type, is a client allowed to take
a guess anyway and disregard the server supplied mime type? How does
a client know that the mime type was not "guessed" by the server?

> I do agree that when a content-type is included in a PUT
> overwriting the
> empty resource, that should become the new content-type.  However
> isn't that
> always the case, whether the resource was previously empty or not?

Yes. The question is more what content-type to report on an empty
resource.