RE: root of a lock, was HOW_TO_IDENTIFY_LOCK_OWNER

From: Daniel Brotsky <dbrotsky@adobe.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 10:07:54 -0800
To: "Jason Crawford" <ccjason@us.ibm.com>
Cc: "Clemm, Geoff" <gclemm@Rational.Com>, w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org
At 5:42 PM -0500 1/13/02, Jason Crawford wrote:
>  > C) The root resource of a lock should be discoverable.
>
>I don't want to distract the discussion, but why is this necessary?  Do we
>have a specific reason?

In addition to Geoff's answer:

If you are an administrator trying to unlock a resource obtained by
someone else, you have to be able to figure out which resource to
unlock.  You can't unlock an internal member of a collection that's
locked by a depth-inifinity lock without knowing which collection was
actually locked.  Then you can decide whether unlocking that is the
right thing to do.

     dan
--
Daniel Brotsky, Adobe Systems