FW: User home directories

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 21:14:14 -0700
To: "WebDAV" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>

Accidentally caught by the spam filter.

- Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan Levy [mailto:danlevy@island.liu.se]
Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2002 9:14 AM
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Subject: [Moderator Action] User home directories

Hi all,

I'm currently looking in to using some webdav solution to let our users
access thier home catalogues on our system. Basically Solaris 8 on ufs
disks with user data in yp. Nowing that file sharing via samba and
webdav is a bad thing I still would like to give it a try.

My questions are:
Is this possible? If not will it ever be?
Which webserver have this capability? If I run on Apache I will have to
run it as root and even then I doubt he will access the files as the
logged in user...

/Dan Levy
Systems Administrator
Linköping University