From: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 21:35:24 +0200
To: "Jason Crawford" <ccjason@us.ibm.com>, "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@apache.org>
Cc: "'Webdav WG \(E-mail\)'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>

Behalf Of Jason Crawford
>Sent: Thursday, June 27, 2002 9:13 PM
>To: Roy T. Fielding
>Cc: 'Webdav WG (E-mail)'
>> If the server is capable of handling PUT on a "dynamic content" resource,
>> then it may also support direct editing of the resource. Day Software's
>> products support that kind of editing, but as far as the client is
>> concerned
>> it is just performing methods on a WebDAV resource. There is no
>> between the two EXCEPT that there are some circumstances when the client
>> needs to be encouraged to go elsewhere (such as when the author wishes to
>> edit a presentation template). The principles are the same. A source
>> property is merely a mechanism to supply metadata for a relationship
>> between two or more resources.
>It's not central to the point of your posting as a whole, but I'll comment
>this part. I think you're suggesting that the source property could point
>the resource itself. I agree in prinical this can be done, but it does

I don't think he did.

>>another issue that we would then want to clarify.
>Is the source property telling you where you can GET the source... or where
>can PUT it. Obviously if you do a GET on the dynamic resource itself, you
>not get the source of the implementation. Given your comment, we should
>be clear about that.

The source property lists sources. It doesn't tell you anything about
whether the dynamic resource supports PUT, and what effect that would have.
Note also that source resources may be dynamic resources as well.

>> > 4) An author wants to no longer serve dynamic content at a specific
>> > What URL does the author DELETE?
>> The URL they want to DELETE, which, depending on the implementation, may
>> result in a suggestion to the author that they need to DELETE some other
>> resource instead (or as well).
>Okay. And what is the mechanism for the server to do the "suggesting"? (I
>assume it's a mechanism that distinguishs between redirects that require
>user confirmation and those that don't.)

Good point. Roy, did you have any specific (existing) mechanism in mind?