Re: RFC2518 (WebDAV) / RFC2396 (URI) inconsistency

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@ebuilt.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2001 11:18:00 -0800
To: Jim Whitehead <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>
Cc: "'WebDAV'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>, uri@w3.org
> A very principled case can be made for viewing the scheme namespace as a set
> of URIs. This URI space identifies URI/URN/URL scheme names.

I understand that case, but don't think it is a good idea.  URI namespaces
are a form of protocol, and like all protocols they are occasionally subject
to revision.  I prefer to identify such protocols with a separate URI, not a
construct of the syntax.  But that is not just my preference -- it is also
demonstrated by that silly "about:" URI in Netscape Navigator.  That does
identify a resource, not the naming scheme.  The basic problem is that,
given the ability to define their own namespace, most developers think it is
"safer" to create their own world of names.  And they may even be right.

In other words, I think that "scheme:" is only a valid identifier for the
namespace if the scheme defines it as such.

....Roy