Re: RFC2518 (WebDAV) / RFC2396 (URI) inconsistency

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@ebuilt.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2001 15:26:40 -0800
To: Larry Masinter <LMM@acm.org>
Cc: "'Mark Baker'" <distobj@acm.org>, "'Martin Duerst'" <duerst@w3.org>, "'Stefan Eissing'" <stefan.eissing@greenbytes.de>, "'WebDAV'" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>, uri@w3.org
> but have left out the following possibilities:
>
> * Change the XML namespace spec to allow "scheme-name:" as
>   a namespace name, even though it isn't a legal URI
>   (This isn't such a big deal, since XML namespace names allow
>    IRIs with non-ASCII characters anyway, not really URIs)

In case anyone is wondering, "scheme:" is not allowed in the URI syntax
because Web browsers and client libraries do interpret it as a form of
relative URI due to a loophole in CERN's original partial URI algorithm.
People never used it, but the loophole makes it impossible for such an
identifier to be interoperable.

OTOH, I have found at least one other example -- the "about:" URL in
Netscape Navigator -- so I guess this could be changed in a future revision
of 2396.

....Roy