Re: Ideas: GETSRC & MULTIPUT

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@ebuilt.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 16:37:15 -0800
To: Jim Whitehead <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>
Cc: "Clemm, Geoff" <gclemm@rational.com>, WebDAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 04:10:35PM -0800, Jim Whitehead wrote:
> > Why isn't GETSRC just a GET on the DAV:dst of the DAV:source property?
> > (If it is just a shorthand for this, I'm against the redundant marshalling
> > of this request through a new method).
>
> The source link has not been implemented. We don't currently have two
> interoperable implementations. Thus, according to IETF policy, the source
> link goes away in the revision of 2518.

If you change the protocol to add GETSRC, then there is no point in
revising RFC 2518 -- it would have to recycle at Proposed.  I think it would
make more sense to have the server and client developers explain why they
did not implement it and then come up with a solution that they will implement.

I certainly don't want to implement a GETSRC method -- that instantly doubles
the server's access control complexity and response codes.

....Roy