RE: Ideas: GETSRC & MULTIPUT

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2001 17:19:21 -0800
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@ebuilt.com>
Cc: "WebDAV" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
> If you change the protocol to add GETSRC, then there is no point in
> revising RFC 2518 -- it would have to recycle at Proposed.

My assumption is that revising 2518 will take some time. If a new mechanism
for getting access to the source link is developed, and sent to proposed in
a separate RFC, I suspect we could get two interoperable implementations
before the end of the 2518 revision period, and hence include the new
mechanism, since it too woul dbe at Draft status then.

> think it would make more sense to have the server and client developers
> explain why they did not implement it and then come up with a solution
> that they will implement.

I am all in favor of developing a solution client and server implementors
will code.

> I certainly don't want to implement a GETSRC method -- that
> instantly doubles
> the server's access control complexity and response codes.

Other ideas?

- Jim