From: Clemm, Geoff <gclemm@rational.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 14:36:47 -0400
To: Webdav WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org>
I'd probably avoid the whole "when is a checkout like a lock"
discussion.  They are pretty much orthogonal concepts, where
a checkout takes an unwriteable thing, and makes it writeable
(or makes a writeable copy of it), while
a lock takes a writeable thing and limits who can write to it.

So locking a checked-out thing can be a sensible thing to do
(i.e. now that it is writeable, you want to limit
who can write to it), and even locking a checked-in thing can
be sensible (if you want to limit who can update the live
properties that are affected by locking but are not affected
by the resource being checked in).