Re: Retrieving the lockdiscovery property from a non locked resource

From: Jim Amsden <jamsden@us.ibm.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 08:22:24 -0500
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org
DAV:lockdiscovery is a live property  that always exists for every resource
that supports locking. So mod_dav is correct in returning the empty
property given that there are no locks. I suppose IIS could be considered
correct too as there isn't that much difference between an empty element
and no element in this case.

                    Hartmut Warncke
                    <hwarncke@Adobe.CO       To:     WebDAV WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
                    M>                       cc:
                    Sent by:                 Subject:     Retrieving the lockdiscovery property from a non
                    w3c-dist-auth-requ        locked resource
                    03/15/2001 05:12

Hi all,

if '/a.html' is a resource which is  *not*  locked and the client sends
a ...

<D:propfind xmlns:D="DAV:">

... on that resource, the mod_dav server responds witth a:

 <?xml version="1.0" ...>
    <D:multistatus xmlns:D="DAV:">
                    HTTP/1.1 200 OK
So, mod_dav sends an empty lockdiscovery element.

IIS responds with:
            HTTP/1.1 200 OK

So, IIS sends no lockdiscovery property at all.

In RFC2518; section 8.1 I found the following sentence:

"A request to retrieve the value of a property which does not exist is
an error and MUST be noted, if the response uses a multistatus XML
element, with a response XML element which contains a 404 (Not Found)
status value."

Does this sentence applies only to user-defined properties and not to
DAV build-in properties like the lockdiscovery property?

What is the correct server behaviour?

Best, Hartmut