Clarification on DAV server enforcing locks for PUT

From: Steve K Speicher <sspeiche@us.ibm.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 07:41:47 -0500
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
In reading RFC2518 section 6.7 "Usage Considerations", I think I'm reading
conflicting statements:

Paragraph 4 reads: "...it cannot force all clients to use locking because
it must be comparatible with HTTP clients that don't comprehend locking"
Paragraph 5 reads: "WebDAV servers that support locking can reduce the
likelihood that clients will accidentally overwrite each other's changes by
requireing clients to lock resource before modifying them..."

So can (or should) a DAV server enforce locking?

Thanks,
Steve Speicher
(919) 254-0645
sspeiche@us.ibm.com