Re: Are you using lock discovery?

From: Dan Brotsky <dbrotsky@Adobe.COM>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2001 14:29:52 -0700
To: "Jason Crawford" <ccjason@us.ibm.com>
Cc: "Clemm Geoff" <gclemm@Rational.Com>, WebDAV <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
>Do we have any clients out there that do lock discovery or are dependent on
>this property?

Sure.  Every Adobe client uses lock discovery frequently.  Uploading
a multi-megabyte file via PUT only to have the server then tell you
your lock is gone generally gives rise to a very bad user experience
:^).  So we always try to discover workflow state changes before
doing lengthy operations that expect a certain state.

>...and...
>
>Do we have any that require LNR's?

Hard to know which LNR behavior you're referring to.  If you mean
requiring a way to discover that the "URL" you "locked" is still
locked then yes, definitely, see above.  If you mean requiring that
such a resource vanish if you unlock without a PUT then no.

     dan
--
Daniel Brotsky, Adobe Systems
tel 408-536-4150, pager 877-704-4062