RE: WRITE_DAV_PROP: Summary of consensus

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 14:51:41 -0700
To: "Laurie Harper" <zodiac@holoweb.net>, <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
> As remote-file-system type DAV clients become more widespread, I could
> imagine lack of mutability of this property could become more
> contentious...

The typical uses of touch(1) are to force recompilation when using make, and
to easily create new, empty files.  Use of touch(1) for forcing
recompilation is a hack -- since there is no general purpose property
mechanism in Unix, there was no way to set the "force recompile" property,
and so the timestamp was overloaded with these semantics.

Are there other typical uses of touch(1) of which I'm unaware?

- Jim