RE: Issue: WRITE_DAV_PROP

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@cse.ucsc.edu>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 10:14:56 -0700
To: "WebDAV WG" <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
> From: Greg Stein [mailto:gstein@lyra.org]
>
>    I'm also a bit leery of the getcontentlanguage and getcontenttype
>    being a MUST. I'd prefer those be a MAY, and displayname and source
>    remain as MUST.  The basic problem with the language/type is
>    needing to look them up for each GET from the server. That can
>    seriously impact server performance.

Geoff Clemm responds:
> Another client might have deleted the resource and created a new one
> in the same location
> (with different contentlanguage and contenttype) between the two
> GET's, so whether or not getcontentlanguage and getcontenttype
> or mutable is irrelevant for this issue, isn't it?

My understanding is that some servers calculate the GET response
Content-Type on the fly, often by examining the filename extension. If,
instead, you need to substitute a database read to retrieve the
getcontentlength property value (which would be necessary if the
getcontentlength property was writeable), this would presumably have a
negative effect on GET performance as compared to calculating the
Content-Type on the fly.  Since GET is by far the most commonly called
method, implementors are typicaly loathe to impact GET performance.

So, Greg, what does mod_dav do with the Content-Type submitted with a PUT?

- Jim