RE: Loop Detected

From: Clemm, Geoff <gclemm@Rational.Com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 11:29:57 -0500
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

	From: Tim Ellison/OTT/OTI [mailto:Tim_Ellison@oti.com]

	I think the simplest solution is to say that the server answers the
	property values in a Loop Detected propstat.  This is probably
simpler for
	the server anyway (not having to strip out values because it is a
	detected status).

If the server is going to generate a "Duplicate Detected" status, I don't
it would be any problem for it to stuff a DAV:urn in there instead of the
properties list.  If the client cares what those properties are, it can use
the DAV:urn value to find them in the PROPFIND result body.  I think that it
is important that binding not introduce unnecessary duplication of property
in PROPFIND responses.

	A note in the spec can point out that if clients want to reconstruct
	graph they can deep propfind the dav:urn.

Yes, but that doesn't help them avoid having to parse all those redundant
entries in the PROPFIND response.

	I don't think it is a good idea to return a property the client
didn't ask

I agree that we shouldn't force a server to return DAV:urn for normal status
"Duplicate Detected" status responses.

	                    "Slein, Judith A"

	                    <JSlein@crt.xerox.        To:     "'Clemm,
Geoff'" <gclemm@rational.com>,
	                    com>                      w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

	                    Sent by:                  cc:

	                    w3c-dist-auth-requ        Subject:     RE: Loop

	                    16-03-00 09:35 AM

	We can make it that the property values get returned for the 506
	but as you say that will not in general be helpful to the client in
	reconstructing the graph.  It would just be a matter of luck if the
	properties requested allowed you to identify the resource bound to
	As you say, the only property that allows this is DAV:urn.

	So it's not just a matter of changing the example to one where
DAV:urn was

	I know you will hate this suggestion, but we could have servers
	return DAV:urn, whether it was requested or not, for all the
resources if
	there is a 506 anywhere in the response.

	Or we could add a note suggesting to clients that if they want to
	reconstruct the graph, they should submit another PROPFIND Depth:
	to the same resource, requesting DAV:urn.