Re: Why IE's Web Folders are accessed through File/Open

From: Jim Whitehead <ejw@ics.uci.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 13:38:12 -0800
To: WebDAV WG <w3c-dist-auth@w3.org>
Accidentally caught by the spam filter.

- Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Edgar Schwarz [mailto:Edgar.Schwarz@marconicomms.com]
Sent: Thursday, February 03, 2000 6:24 AM
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Subject: [Moderator Action] Re: Why IE's Web Folders are accessed
through File/Open

Yaron Goland wrote:

>         The last idea to be considered, which I admit responsibility for,
> was to introduce a new type of URL, dav:. Any time we saw a dav: URL we
> would do a PROPFIND.
That's what I decided to do for my Oberon client.

> While I wasn't enamored with this idea I felt it was practical.
Agreed :-)

> Also the IE UI guys went absolutely insane at the mere suggestion that
> a DAV: URL could appear in the address bar. They too could hear the
> phone lines ringing as people demanded to know what the hell a DAV URL was
> and where the HTTP URL had gone to. So this idea was also killed off.
It`s a pity. I think at least for Oberon users there shouldn`t be such a
There are already names like mailto:..., ftp://..., http://..., so why
there be a dav://... .
And why should this be something a MS user wouldn`t understand. He already
knows a: b:, c:, ... So you could sell dav: just as onother distributed disk

>         The reason we were allowed to use file/open is that absolutely
> nobody ever uses file/open. So the UI folks weren't worried about having
> this funky "Open as Web Folder" switch in file/open. In fact the UI folk
> wanted to remove file/open all together from IE but the MS UI regulations
> require it to be there. So they said we could throw in the switch there.
> other words, we were allowed to produce a bad user experience because we
> were counting on the majority of users never, ever, finding the switch
> without being explicitly told it was there. Don't you wish I was making
> all up?

Cheers, Edgar

Edgar.Schwarz@marconicomms.com ON/EUE1, 07191/13-3382         Niklaus Wirth:
Privat kann jeder soviel C programmieren oder Videos ansehen wie er mag.
Albert Einstein:  Mach es so einfach wie moeglich, aber nicht einfacher.