RE: Why IE's Web Folders are accessed through File/Open

From: Mike Dierken <mike@DataChannel.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2000 08:23:40 -0800
To: Yaron Goland <yarong@Exchange.Microsoft.com>, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Great e-mail. Shows what the real world is like.
We ran into that Noun/Verb issue with URLs and what we decided to do
(because we are a small company) for our Web apps was to standardize on a
URL parameter for the 'verb' portion. Conceptually, we bubbled up some HTTP
headers into the query term of a URL. So to specify the 'method' we use
?do:method=options and such. In addition, we also use do:accept and
do:authorization to emulate the 'Accept' and 'Authorization' headers.
This makes is a little easier to author HTML pages with more control of what
happens on the server & makes it easier to pass around URLs with known
results (even between clients, since it's all server side).

Mike
PS
The handling of do:method=options actually combines the HTTP Method and the
do:method - you end up with 'get_options' or 'post_options', but it could be
done differently, that's a minor issue compared with how you actually
formalize the request.